Friday, January 16, 2009

I suck

As I typically do, I let this sit for a long time. My intention had been to chronicle my experiences leveling and getting into raiding in WotLK. Getting a job 1 week before it hit kinda messed with that. Leveling was a grind of 'Get home from work, log on, grind out quests until I went ding, collapse in bed.' I hit 80 around when I expected, then started grinding dailies. That was fun for a couple days. Not as many as it took to hit exalted with Sons of Hodir or Oracles though.

I also started running heroics. This led me to 2 things. 1) Hunter loot is a myth. Ok, that's a knee jerk reaction to crappy luck. It took my roughly 16 runs to get my Drake-Mounted Crossbow. (I'll learn to link items another day.) Also, as an LW I had some pretty good stuff, and used my first to Orbs to make Giantmaim. Honestly, I think Blizz did a pretty decent job of ensuring we could be ready for Naxx with craftables and Rep gear.

I remember all the drama about how high the new hitcap is. Now, I am a Draenei Hunter, so I have a leg up. But, there is a good amount of hit out there, and with the extra 3% from talents, no hunter should be raiding at under the hit cap. That was all before I even knew that the cap is really only 8%, even. With Emblem and some Naxx10 gear, you can easily drop the Hit talents and cap hit the old fashioned way, since the talent doesn't tranfer to the pet.

2) I found a Guild. I had chosen to level on my own. I don't level through instances. It's not my thing. I did Nexus, since my pocket healer wanted to and everyone was still 70-71 anyway. And I wanted the Quest Reward boots. (Which lasted me WAY longer than they should have...) I had a falling out with my previous guild, and was just burnt out, so I made a choice to forego finding a guild until I let people see me in Heroics. I figured "I'm good at what I do, I'll get offers."

I forgot that unguilded Hunters are lepers. The assumption is that they are unguilded for a reason. Hell, *I* think that. But, I'm nuts, and figured I'm special. Not just short-bus style. Also, good guilds rarely PuG. I was 80 early enough, and competent enough, that a few groups had me on call, and I was able to run a number. I was eventually recruited into a Guild that had a nubmer of friends from my very first guild in it, and I was recruited by the RL, and they were talking about Naxx10... it seemed like a good fit.

Then, the MT got hacked. Apparently, again. I'm a jerk. I have not a ton of sympathy for getting hacked, as you did something that allowed someone to have access to your information, even if it's just being lax in security. I'll feel bad for you the first time, as it's a huge invasion of your privacy. Unless you bought Gold, or the toon. In which case, it's your own damn fault and live with it. Get hacked a second time? Really? You didn't learn? Really?

So, Naxx10 progress stopped as we geared a new MT. Oh, and they only had 2 healers, so it was all 2 heals, all the time, with spotty attendance for the good DPS. Then the RL decided that RL was too much, and quit for a bit. Then I became RL, as I had pugged slots in 10 and 25, and at that point had seen all but a handful of the fights. And we weren't gonna get close to the ones I hadn't seen. That went well for 1 week, until the asked me to take an OT who had yet to be in a heroic and was nowhere near capped. I refused to lead, and only raided one more time with them before quitting. Clearing Arachnid Quarter each week is not my idea of Raiding, it's my idea of 'gearing up crappy dps that can't beat my pet.

So, I left. My pocket healer also quit her guild, and we tried to find one that needed both a Hunter and a Resto Druid. After a week of searching, there was nothing that met both our needs. I had apped at a higher end raiding guild, and was waiting to hear back for over a month. In the meantime, I ended up joining a lower ranked guild, and was there for a couple days when Union offered me an invite. After getting my head beat in by my friend to NOT pass up the opportunity I had wanted, I left the other guild to join them. And was promptly dragged to EoE. Woot.

Crazy times, so far since joining I've missed exactly 3 bosses. 1 was Patches, and they.... they... d/eed the bow! I heard that in Vent, and my soul died a little. Not gonna lie. But, there are only 2 hunters counting me, and a spotty enh shammy, so I did end up snagging best in slot pants and shoulders, and a few more upgrades on the Naxx10 run. All in all, this was the right move. I finally feel as if I'm raiding with competent raiders who are concerned with performance. Hell, we wiped for 3 hours on EoE 25, and not 1 complaint. That, in of itself, let me know I've found a home.

No comments: